The Council’s David Rockefeller Studies Program is one of the country’s largest foreign policy think tanks with a widely respected and influential research staff. The Studies Program’s aim is to advance the discussion of American foreign policy and international affairs through its writing, publications, public outreach, and discussions.
The Senior Editor will work under the direction of the Senior Fellow for Global Health, Economics, and Development and Director of the Global Health Program. The Senior Editor will be responsible for working with the senior fellow to manage content and daily operations for a new, multi-contributor blog currently being built. Once launched, this new multi-contributor blog, tentatively titled In Health and Wealth, will explore ways that health is interacting with and driving issues of global concern, including economic development, trade, migration, agriculture, and urbanization.
• Ahead of the launch of the new multi-contributor in summer/fall 2019, the Senior Editor will work with the fellow in managing the development of the multi-contributor blog site. This includes assisting the CFR Digital staff and outside contractors responsible for designing and developing the site, participating in weekly planning meetings, handling follow up, reviewing material, helping with project management, participating in quality assurance testing, and related items as needed.
• Ahead of the launch of the site, work with the fellow in the development of an editorial strategy and begin to research, plan, solicit, and edit content for the site.
• Once built, with the guidance of the fellow, handle the day-to-day management of the blog, including planning and writing content, conducting research on possible contributors, editing content, participating in the preparation of content for the site, and posting content.
• Solicit and coordinate the collection of content from internal and external contributors to the blog.
• Manage the scheduling of posting to ensure new daily content to the blog.
• Work in CFR’s content management system to create, build, post, and tag site content
• Work with graphic resources on graphic production and coordination for the site
• Participate in additional activities as needed by the fellow
• Bachelor’s Degree or higher in International Relations, Journalism, Public Health, Economics, or other related field with high academic achievement.
• Three or more years related experience in journalism and/or copy editing with a thorough understanding of digital journalism. Background in global health or health policy journalism strongly preferred.
• Excellent writing, communication, and editing skills
• Experience with digital publishing, social media, and multimedia editing.
• Experience with content management systems, HTML, Photoshop, Adobe Premiere, and/or Adobe Creative Cloud
• Exceptional organizational skills and outstanding attention to detail
• Demonstrated ability to manage projects and tasks independently and under deadlines
• Entrepreneurial self-starter with proven ability to work with small groups and senior staff, and on projects spanning different time zones and cultural contexts.
Founded in 1921, the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) is a leading nonprofit membership organization, research center, and publisher, with headquarters in New York, an office in Washington, DC, and programs nationwide. It is dedicated to increasing America's understanding of the world and contributing ideas to U.S. foreign policy. CFR's 5,000+ members are leaders in international affairs and foreign policy. CFR also publishes Foreign Affairs, the preeminent magazine on global issues, and provides up-to-date information about the world and U.S. foreign policy on its award-winning website, CFR.org.
The Council on Foreign Relations offers a benefits package that is among the best offered by nonprofit institutions today, including an award-winning health and wellness program, an on-site fitness center, and generous leave policies and health insurance programs.
The Council on Foreign Relations is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks candidates from a diverse background.